Friday, February 26, 2010

Harbor Walks

As the weather is warming up, I have started taking walks out in the harbor during my lunchbreaks partly to get my mind off work as well as unstrain my bad back. I wondered why I haven't done this before as I work just a block away from it. I miss the warm waters of home and it is of great comfort to be able to sit there in the docks whenever I want to. I enjoyed listening to the water sounds; waves splashing against the docks, the constant creaking of the rubber "shields" that prevent the sides of the boats from scratching, the occassional screech of the seagulls... My father loved yachts. When I was little, he used to pay me 25 cents for each yacht picture I found in the magazine. He would have loved seeing the many yachts here. Being near the waters brings a lot of good memories. I was able to bring my camera today and took pictures. I found the reflections of the boats on the waters mesmerizing and the insides of the boats interesting. I wonder what would life be like if I was living on a yacht? What kind of people own these yachts? What must it feel like to be steering the wheel and seeing nothing around but the wide flat ocean horizon and the most likely chilly wind blowing across my face? It either could be exhilarating or lonely...and I think I wouldn't be able to keep myself from shouting "Land ho!"









1 comment:

emilie said...

Din, yeah. I remember your dad had a yellow catamaran and mine had a blue sailboat. I remember them racing the two together, the catamaran won while the sailboat kept on leaning towards one side and trying to keep it's balance. That's how I always remember that between the two, catamaran's are much faster. :)