Friday, July 2, 2010

Cool planter box

In Victoria these days, there is much talk (and marketing) about being eco-friendly, environmentally friendly and all that good stuff and from the myriad of topics that fall under these is the increasing trend of growing one's own food. Yes, it is now really "cool" to be planting your own vegetables and crops and being self-sustainable. I feel the slow mass movement towards this in the group of people I know. And so I am finally giving in and am going to attempt to become "cool' myself. Never mind the most likely insect problems that I would have, never mind the daily tending and watering and the most likely heartbreak in seeing them wither in winter. I thought it was worth a try, on a small scale at least. (The smaller the risk, the smaller the pain of failure, I suppose.) So I bought a planter box that I'd place in our patio (as it is nearer to the kitchen and would be easy for me to water daily). I plan to plant herbs and lettuces for now. The hardy ones for sure, aside from the fact that they're the type of herbs we use a lot. Rosemary, oregano, fennel/dill and lettuce. (I'm keeping my goals small although I know I'm being a lot more ambitious with the lettuce but it is what I'd like to eat daily so it's worth experimenting.) And I'm planting the leftover old potatoes directly on the ground in the backyard. I figured that if I could successfully grow these "hardy" stuff, then maybe I could someday grow the more finicky ones like basil, coriander, and tomatoes.

I painted the planter box sea blue. This shade of blue reminds me a lot of a beach house in Scandinavia for some reason. Not that I have been in Scandinavia. Just looking at it transports me to a nordic place or a more peaceful place like heaven maybe. I could hug this color to death. It is amazing how much color, if it is the right one that matches you, can make a lot of difference to how you feel about your day. This one does it for me. Not to mention that I figured I needed a back-up plan; being that in the the high likelihood that all my herbs would die on me, at least I have a nice empty planter box to look at.



No comments: