Friday, May 21, 2010

Moonstruck

I find it hard to blog these days. Maybe because my mind have been quite preoccupied with work and whatever is left at the end of the day, I spend mostly playing with Julia. Not that I'm complaining but I do miss having some quiet time for myself. That's the struggle of most working moms I guess. However, I do have a really COOL picture to share. Considering that I took it by putting my point and shoot camera over the eyepiece of a $50 telescope, it was a stroke of big luck to even get a decent picture that at least resembled the real thing. Yes, it is the picture of the moon. Our beloved 4.6 billion years old (according to NASA) moon which shines upon us on cloudless nights and have inspired thousands of people for ages. To finally be able to see it myself, for real,  in more detail, and see the dark and light spots and the circular structures on its surface, felt so amazing. (It looked clearer through the telescope than the picture below). This must have been what Galileo have seen. I am awed by that the thought; that I am looking at the same thing someone had looked at several hundreds years ago. Now I could say Galileo and I have something in common. :) ...4.6 billion years..that is very old. My lifespan is nothing compared to it. Someday I will die and my bones will crumble away and the moon would still be there. Shining. It is a humbling thought.

No comments: