Thursday, March 18, 2010

Street Folks

As I walk my way to and from work everyday in the streets of Victoria, I always enjoy seeing the different kinds of people that I pass by. And when you walk often enough like me, you'd soon find that what use to be faces of strangers, become familiar and seem to almost be like long lost friends that you "converse" with, mostly with your eyes and a friendly smile and greeting. Recently I was struck by the realization of the significance the street folks have in my picture and memory of what this city is to me. Without the street folks that I see daily peddling near the harbor, playing beautiful music, standing in corners or sitting in front of the church bench constantly saying "spare change", the city of Victoria would be as dull and as impersonal as any city would be to me. Street folks are a part of the city and for me make up the important personal aspect of it that makes it vibrant and human. For this I am quite thankful.

Below is one of my favorite street folks - the violin playing Darth Vader. How amazing is that? He is pretty cool.

No comments: