Saturday, May 30, 2009

Butchart Gardens

Jack, Mana and their 2.5+ year old daughter, Lindsey, came to visit us last weekend. I got to see the Butchart gardens for the first time. It was beautiful and very well maintained. I realized later that with all the plants and trees around, I didn't see a single fallen leaf or flower rotting on the ground or pathways. They were being picked up or cleaned even before they begin to fade and fall off the branches. Given the vast land area, that was not a small feat.

Seing the potted pots of assorted flowers in the rose garden, I began to percolate a dream of owning a similar potted garden somewhere in my future, with those round flower collections hanging on arched trellises and a wishing fountain at the side that would make me feel like I'm transported to one of the scenes in Jane Austin's novels. Flowers do that to you I guess. They add some magic into an otherwise ordinary landscape or existence. With flowers, you became aware of beautiful possibilities.

Here are some pictures of my favorites: the sunken garden, fountain and japanese garden.
(I must admit that I was a teeny bit disappointed to find the japanese garden ponds lacking of koi's, which to me was a key thing of such a garden.)

Thank you Jack, Manna and Lindsey, for the most wonderful time!


No comments: