Thursday, November 22, 2007

A Tribute To Bergee

You were a bundle of energy when you came,
Barely weaned from your mother’s milk,
My house was too small for you,
Front and back, front and back you ceaselessly ran.

You liked the muddy earth,
I had to pour concrete to keep me sane;
You liked pounding on the wall, as a swimmer would kick the first end of his lane,
I had to build another wall to keep you back;
You wake me up at night and my baby too,
And wreaked havoc in my garden, there isn’t much you didn’t do.

But like a couple, we blended well,
You were a worthy friend;
Never wavering, never heavy,
With your ferocious fangs, you let everyone know you got me covered.

You patiently obliged my wicked streaks,
Lindberg- the superdog! I yelled, as you trotted proudly with your cape in the rain,
You never failed to greet me with excitement,
Even when I couldn’t reciprocate.

You sat by my side, during my darkest times,
A silent friend, an unmoving rock,
Your brows twitched with understanding
Listening quietly like a sage.

Now I touch your head, more bones than flesh,
Weak but ardent still,
Loyalty shines brightly in your eyes
I asked for your pardon, I asked for your wish,
Will you meet me there when it’s my turn?

Your eyes kept staring, as your lungs stopped lifting,
Your heart weakly beats the last rhythms of your life;

Thank you Bergee for having been in mine,
Thank you for leaving this dent in my heart that now ebbs with pain,
I miss your barks, I miss your howls
The house is too quiet without you.


Lindberg "Bergee": 11/13/2000 - 11/19/2007








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Em, so sorry about Lindberg. He has been your friend and companion for a long time. Something our Wapshot could be more of (joke). That was a beautiful poem.

Anonymous said...

Good words.